For years, we've wanted to celebrate one of our favorite videogame stories - one that didn't actually appear in a videogame. I Love Bees was a viral marketing campaign in 2004 designed to promote Halo 2.
There are several interesting stories to tell there, and we'll get to that - but for now all you need to know is that, at its heart, I Love Bees was an incredibly well-produced radio-style serial.
We have assembled what we're calling I Love Bees Definitive Edition, which is a remaster of the audio from the highest bit-rate source we could find with an epilogue, deleted scenes, and a few minor tweaks to optimize the story.
We'll be releasing both the new, improved version of the audio odyssey and a companion podcast that tells its stories and celebrates our love for it in a meaningful way. You can expect that in a day or two.
For now, we have:
Audio trailer - this positions I Love Bees as an action movie story, complete with the inevitable "In a world…" trappings you'd expect. It's funny and includes a few of our favorite I Love Bees moments. It's also short: just 3 1/2 minutes.
Spoiler-free samples. We've been sharing these out on Twitter and Facebook for the past week so you can get a taste for the improved audio quality and the story and characters:
- Jan James, the cop, and the "Pop Quiz"
- Kamal cooks a chicken
- Jersey meets a military AI called Durga
- Herzog examines WWII's Enigma and how it applies to the Covenant
- Rani finds her dad prepared for a Covenant attack - under a duck pond! (spoilers removed)
- Jan "killed" at hopscotch, and it almost made her a Spartan
- Kamal gets a job offer at a casino that he can't refuse
- Durga messes with an IRS auditor investigating Jersey
- Rani has a man fall at her feet, literally
- Jan has fun with an automated beverage machine
Enjoy these for now, share the ones you like, and get ready for the full experience!